outgoing money each month

mylowe

Not sure if this has been covered on another thread but here goes

how much would it cost to run a 3bed house in melbourne eg

rent, electric, gas, food bill for family of 3 or 4 peeps, internet, house phone, car, insurance and so on.

Hiya

We too are heading out to Melbourne and intend on renting a 3 bed house, but there are only two of us. We factored in about $3975 per month including:

Rent 1600 per month

Food bills 700 per month

Telephone + broadband 100 per month

Mobile 100 per month for 2 mobiles

Car insurance 60 per month

Car registration 50 per month

Utilities 250 per month

Ambulance insurance 7 per month for couple (http://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/families)

Monthly travel pass for bus/train/tram -113 per month for 1 person

(only zone 1 so have to drive first to station)

Private Healthcare cover 300 per month

Student Loan

(pay through Hifx.co.uk) 150 per month

Monies to back home 250 month

Pay TV 55 per month

Petrol 200 per month (this is a very rough guestimate though lol)

Contact Lenses 40 per month

Like I said, that's based on forums and what people have said but hope it provides a guide and if anyone has any ammends, feel free :) xx

Total per month

3975 per month

3 bed house will be more for rent - at a stab I'd say at least $3000 pm but if you got a morgage of say $400K with just a 10% deposit, it could be a little more $3000 and is without adding the 10% they stick you with for just putting 10% down - a so called insurance for the morgage provider! total rip off but thats Oz for you these days.

So an adjustment to the figure 3975 would actually be 5375 - I'd say that a more true figure as most of us at present dont want to risk not being able to come back and we just arent selling up any more.

am i way off ??????

3 bed house will be more for rent - at a stab I'd say at least $3000 pm but if you got a morgage of say $400K with just a 10% deposit, it could be a little more $3000 and is without adding the 10% they stick you with for just putting 10% down - a so called insurance for the morgage provider! total rip off but thats Oz for you these days.

So an adjustment to the figure 3975 would actually be 5375 - I'd say that a more true figure as most of us at present dont want to risk not being able to come back and we just arent selling up any more.

am i way off ??????

Lol sorry I should have said that's based on renting. We don't want to buy again until we know the areas well and the market and until we know we will settle. Apologies I should have said that. So that price is based on a rental in Point Cook x

Guest VickyMel

am i way off ??????

We are in a 2 bed flat in zone 1 about 15 mins from the CBD $1625/mth - had we looked around more we could have got a 2 maybe 3 bed detached house in another area. But you need time and luck to do that.

If you are further out like Point Cook it will be very different and I have no idea - look on http://www.domain.com.au or http://www.realestate.com.au to see what the rentals are in the area you are looking at that will give you the best idea.

Lol sorry I should have said that's based on renting. We don't want to buy again until we know the areas well and the market and until we know we will settle. Apologies I should have said that. So that price is based on a rental in Point Cook x

Sorry not enough bills in yet to give you an idea on the rest yet.

I have a mobile contract $19/month - OH still on prepaid $10-20/mth.

Our car insurance $500/yr (we both have full no claims)

Our Food - 2 of us $3-400 month - but not really sure what it will be over time.

Petrol is 1.40 / litre but depends how much you travel?

OH uses the train to work zone 1 only $33.20/week

without adding the 10% they stick you with for just putting 10% down - a so called insurance for the morgage provider! total rip off but thats Oz for you these days.

They stick you with Mortgage Indemnity Insurance in the UK too.. Is a bank rip-off rather than an Aussie one.

cheers mate but whats the break down how many dollars on gas etc

Can't remember exactly, but my rent is $1500, I give my wife $1000 per month to pay the bills/food etc. Plus $1400py rego for 2 cars, $1800py insurance 2 cars, $300py contents insurance. I spend about $30pw on lpg to do about 400km in a 5.4 V8 Falcon, wife pays similar in her Scenic. Try to save $150pm for medical. We've got 2 young kids, 4 bed house, they're out most days, we do stuff at weekends and get away sometimes, mainly camping.

We lived in Greensborough for the first year (just moved to Torquay) and I take home about $2200 a fortnight and my wife $900, so thats about $6500, we have 2 young kids and a dog and dont live a laivsh lifestyle by any means, but thats about $6500 a month and we tend to spend most of it! It is expensive here but the wages (for nurses at least) are much much better than the UK.

I should add that we have had numerous trips away, been all over the place and we can afford to do this, in the UK it was always on a credit card!

Its a much much better lifestyle financially for us.

One thing I would say about renting to anyone that is not here yet, you wont get a bargain. House are priced at certain amounts for good reasons. ie you look at houses for $350 for a 3 bed in Greensborough I assure you they will be unliveable, $400 will be OK and $500 will be fantastic. There is little point in trying to find a decent house thats cheap, if its cheap its cheap cos its horrible! We went from paying $390 in Greensborough to $450 in Torquay and (as well as the area being a million times nicer) the house is so much better for a measly $60 a week, its worth paying more, it really is.

We lived in Greensborough for the first year (just moved to Torquay) and I take home about $2200 a fortnight and my wife $900, so thats about $6500, we have 2 young kids and a dog and dont live a laivsh lifestyle by any means, but thats about $6500 a month and we tend to spend most of it! It is expensive here but the wages (for nurses at least) are much much better than the UK.

I should add that we have had numerous trips away, been all over the place and we can afford to do this, in the UK it was always on a credit card!

Its a much much better lifestyle financially for us.

One thing I would say about renting to anyone that is not here yet, you wont get a bargain. House are priced at certain amounts for good reasons. ie you look at houses for $350 for a 3 bed in Greensborough I assure you they will be unliveable, $400 will be OK and $500 will be fantastic. There is little point in trying to find a decent house thats cheap, if its cheap its cheap cos its horrible! We went from paying $390 in Greensborough to $450 in Torquay and (as well as the area being a million times nicer) the house is so much better for a measly $60 a week, its worth paying more, it really is.

I'd love to live in Torquay, been there a few times and it's great by the coast. Anyway, I think house prices/rentals depend very much on the area. Some areas are stupidly expensive and you wonder why, because they can be grotty, claustrophobic dumps, particularly close to the city. Others are cheaper, but very nice.

My friend has just bought a house in Greensborough and it was at least $100k more than you'd pay in Hillside for instance. Yet Hillside is just as close to the city, if that's your thing, is a nicely maintained area with lots of parks, is 15 mins from huge shopping centres and there are some monmentally huge houses there, very well kept. Personally I can't understand why Greensborough is so expensive. Similarly we rent a house for $350pw in Hillside, it's beautiful inside, overlooks fields and hills and is huge!

I wouldnt buy a house in Greensborough if it was $100! I have no idea why it's expensive either. Whenever I told the Western Suburb dwelling colleagues of mine I lived in Greensborough they would all say "oooh arent you lucky" so I guess its seen as a good area. The reality is that there is litter and graffiti everywhere (no litter and only a tiny bit of grafitti in Torquay) when people want to relax they go to the plaza and hang around MacDonalds (in Torquay they go sailing, surfing etc) and the hoons drive around Greemsborough day and night (in Torquay you just hear the waves lapping against the shore!) I dont understand why the whole world does not live by the beach!!

Here's my workings so far based on 2 Adults, 1 Car & 1 Small Child.

It's worst case scenario based on a comfortable existence and in no way definative.

Hope it helps, Please contribute...

Housing (Based on 3/4 Bed House)

Mortgage ($450K @ 7%) $3,180.51

Rent $2,000.00

Utilities

Council Tax $133.33

Buildings insurance $55.00

Contents Insurance $35.00

Landline $107.50

Mobile x 2 (iphone 4) $120.00

TV $70.00 ADSL (50Gb Cap) $50.00

TV Licence ???

Gas $60.83

Elec $133.33

Water Rates $73.67

Water Usage $34.67

Medical

Medicare $22.00

Ambulance Cover(family cover) $7.00

Private Healthcare Cover $200.00

Pet Care $40.00

Schools

Private School(public is free) $600.00

Car

Car loan payments - obviosuly subjective!

Car Insurance $30.00

Tax / Licence $31.00

MOT Repairs $30.00

Servicing $18.00

RAC $18.00 Fuel (Guesstimate) $200.00

Other

Shopping $1000.00

Entertainment $500.00

TOTAL P/MONTH (RENTING) $5,569.33

TOTAL P/YEAR (RENTING) $66,832.00

TOTAL P/MONTH (BUYING) $6,749.84

TOTAL P/YEAR (BUYING) $80,998.12

Here's my workings so far based on 2 Adults, 1 Car & 1 Small Child.

It's worst case scenario based on a comfortable existence and in no way definative.

Hope it helps, Please contribute...

Housing (Based on 3/4 Bed House)

Mortgage ($450K @ 7%) $3,180.51

Rent $2,000.00

Utilities

Council Tax $133.33

Buildings insurance $55.00

Contents Insurance $35.00

Landline $107.50

Mobile x 2 (iphone 4) $120.00

TV $70.00 ADSL (50Gb Cap) $50.00

TV Licence ???

Gas $60.83

Elec $133.33

Water Rates $73.67

Water Usage $34.67

Medical

Medicare $22.00

Ambulance Cover(family cover) $7.00

Private Healthcare Cover $200.00

Pet Care $40.00

Schools

Private School(public is free) $600.00

Car

Car loan payments - obviosuly subjective!

Car Insurance $30.00

Tax / Licence $31.00

MOT Repairs $30.00

Servicing $18.00

RAC $18.00 Fuel (Guesstimate) $200.00

Other

Shopping $1000.00

Entertainment $500.00

TOTAL P/MONTH (RENTING) $5,569.33

TOTAL P/YEAR (RENTING) $66,832.00

TOTAL P/MONTH (BUYING) $6,749.84

TOTAL P/YEAR (BUYING) $80,998.12

Car costs a bit light I think - ACT rego is $750 a year and insurance on a small 5 year old car was $550.

Add to that doctor's visits (maybe one every couple of months $30) plus prescription (ditto $30)

No council tax but there are rates - ours were $200 a month (depends on where you are)

Also add things like parking - again depends on where you will be going but could be $50pw

Im still cant get used to these huge cost of living figures ,

I know its pretty relative , and say just as a ball park my wages double , the fact that living is also double wil not make an amountable difference between how i live my general life and comforts between here in the uk and over in Oz , but the figures are still playing tricks in my head and im thinking how the hell will i aford to live in anything other than the container that my house contents arrives in ?? haha

Good thread tho and better to know the real life figures and be prepared than be kicked in the proverbial balls upon arival .

regards ,a very skint lee:biggrin:

Only 2 of us, but occasionally we have guests staying over for a week or so every month.

But these expenses are fixed:

3bedroom apartment - $2400 (close to train, close to city, great neighborhood, but gotta drive or train to the nearest supermarket!)

Internet - $80

Gas - 250 quarterly (this is during winter, lol)

Electricity - 200 quarterly

Mobile - $15 for my monthly 1GB internet pack and misc calls/text, partner's bill paid for by company - so I use his mobile to make calls most of the time!

Money to send back home - $600

Car related - No idea, my bf usually handle the car issues :)

Public transport - $115 for Zone 1 monthly pass

Meds - $25 a month

Toiletries - $20 a month

TV - $0 (no cable...)

Food - Average of $350 a month inclusive breakfast, lunch, dinner (we eat cheaply! And pack our lunches)

Hmmm, what else?

Archived